Avoiding putting lipstick on a pig
Updating our native apps began as a bit of rouge and eyeliner, but developed into full-scale reconstructive surgery. The complexity of showing one UI for two very different products (ridesharing and rental) had long been an obstacle to a straightforward user experience. We decided to split the app into two modes; ridesharing and rental.
Another (easy) decision was to remove the home tab, which had become bloated with marketing messages and product suggestions. Instead, renters begin on the search tab; with one prominent area for marketing, and owners start on the "rentals" tab; where they can easily manage their bookings.
Our new rentals tab became the place for users to manage their bookings. We created a dynamic design that draws attention to anything that requires immediate attention or is unresolved, and provides relevant links when you need them.
Throughout the process, we collaborated closely with our customer care team, and our commercial team. We identifying pain points in the current rental experience and sense-checked all of our proposals.